Most elevators on campus have emergency telephones inside them to notify Campus
Security that someone is stuck in the elevator. The newer telephones will be
direct links to Public Safety, the older telephones require dialing 8-1000.
For the older telephones, numbers for Public Safety are posted near the telephone.
- If you are in the elevator when it stops, pick up the telephone and notify Public Safety that you are stuck in the elevator. Try to give them your location ie: which elevator, which building etc.
- Do not try to force the doors open or get out on your own. Wait for help.
- Remain calm.
- If you are inside the elevator during a power outage, the emergency lights will come on in the elevator. Security will manually operate the elevator to bring it to the closest floor and open the doors so that you may exit.
If you are near an elevator and you hear someone who is stuck in the elevator:
- Do NOT attempt to remove passengers; tell them that help is on the
- Stay with the person if possible.
- Call the building Maintenance Shop (weekdays: 8-8000) or Public Safety (evenings,