Since an emergency may happen at any time, it is important that your work supervisor
know of your whereabouts and of any changes that you make in your work schedule.
This applies to student library assistants as well as regular staff. When you
hear the fire alarm or are told to evacuate the building:
- Go to the closest exit and leave the building. If you are
away from your own work unit and unsure where the closest exit is located, go
the nearest work unit and exit with the staff of that work unit. (For more information
on exits in Firestone, see Appendix III.)
- Do not use the elevators or go out of your way to retrieve your coat
or other personal items.
- If you are disabled and need assistance leaving the building, call
Library Security (8-3221) to request help.
- Assemble at your designated location with your work unit so the supervisor
can take a head count.
- The supervisor will report any missing persons to the Library Emergency
and Fire Protection Coordinator, Dottie Pearson, or her designated back ups. They will be available by the statue in front of Firestone Library.
- Wait until Security says it is safe to enter the building. Re-entry
into Firestone is through the front door only.
- Branch Libraries should follow their own emergency action plans.