In the event of a fire:
Branch Libraries: notify Public Safety immediately at 911. Also notify Dottie
Firestone Library: notify Library Security immediately at 8-3221. Library Security
will notify Public Safety and Dottie Pearson.
- Do not call the Fire Department yourself.
- Sound the nearest fire alarm.
- Evacuate the area immediately and be aware of a second exit. Close
doors behind you to confine the fire. Never allow the fire to come between
you and the exit.
- Do not break windows. Oxygen feeds a fire.
- Before opening any door, touch it near the top. If the door is hot
or if smoke is visible, do not open the door.
- Do not use elevators.
- Do not attempt to save possessions at the risk of personal injury.
- Do not return to the emergency area until instructed to do so by
- Do not attempt to fight the fire unless you have been properly trained
in the use of fire extinguishers.
When you hear the fire alarm or are told to evacuate the building:
Go to the closest exit and leave the building. If you are away from
your own work unit and unsure where the closest exit is located, go the nearest
work unit and exit with the staff of that work unit.
- If you are disabled and need assistance leaving the building, call
Library Security (8-3221) to request help.
- Assemble at your designated location with your work unit so the supervisor
can take a head count.
- The supervisor will report any missing persons to the Library Emergency
and Fire Protection Coordinator, Dottie Pearson, or her designated back ups. They will be available by the statue in front of Firestone
- Wait until Security says it is safe to enter the building. Re-entry
into Firestone is through the front door only.
Branch Libraries should follow their own emergency action plans.