A basic rule to remember when working in Firestone Library or one of the branches is:
IF YOU OBSERVE A CRIME IN PROGRESS, OR A CRIME IN PROGRESS IS REPORTED TO YOU, OR YOU SUSPECT THERE IS POTENTIAL DANGER IN A DEVELOPING SITUATION
Branch Libraries: Notify Public Safety immediately at 911.
Firestone Library: Notify Library Security at ext. 8-3221. Library Security will notify Public Safety.
· Give Security your name and the exact location you are calling from.
· Clearly and concisely, describe the incident or situation and request assistance.
· If you are in a situation in which you feel threatened with bodily harm and feel that picking up the telephone to call the police would jeopardize your well-being, try to remain calm and call Public Safety as soon as possible (hit the panic button if you are at a desk equipped with one, and assistance should be on its way immediately).
· When security personnel arrive, the staff member or patron who made the call should be prepared to direct them to where the incident occurred and answer any questions they may have.
· If you needed to call Public Safety or Library Security, you should also notify Dottie Pearson (8-3215). Dottie is the contact person between the Library and Public Safety. She will coordinate problems and emergencies existing in more than one of the libraries and can also request copies of Public Safety reports on various incidents.
·If there was a medical emergency involving a staff member, you should complete the accident report form http://web.princeton.edu/sites/ehs/workplacesafety/investigation.htm and forward signed document to the Director of Library Finance and Administration (8-4158).
· Always notify your supervisor. Pass information up the chain of command.
· Always notify your fellow staff members. They can be extra eyes to watch for future problems. Staff members will be the first to know when a problem patron returns to your library.
Emergency Telephone Numbers:
Police (Public Safety) 911
Fire (Public Safety) 911
Public Safety Non Emergency 8-1000
Library Security 8-3221
Employee Health at McCosh 8-5035
Infirmary (for students) 8-3129 (after hours 8-3139)
Firestone Maintenance 8-6691
Maintenance Customer Service 8-8000
University Office of Environmental Health & Safety 8-5294