Such behavior should not have to be tolerated by any staff member, and the Library has an obligation to protect staff from such abuse.
Make sure not to insult or abuse patrons who are themselves abusive.
- If a patron becomes uncontrollably abusive, remain calm and keep your voice low and firm. Remember, irate and abusive behavior is usually a response to Library policy, not to you personnally.
- Ask the person to leave and to return only when able to discuss the problem more calmly.
- If the person does not comply with your request, summon a colleague. (If you observe another colleague in this situation, ask pleasantly if you can be of help.)
- If the person does not cease the abusive behavior, summon your supervisor, if available.
- With your colleague and/or supervisor, advise the patron that the police will be called if the abuse does not cease.
If the person still does not cease::
Branch Libraries: notify Public Safety immediately at 911.
Firestone Library: notify Library Security immediately at 8-3221.