If you are receiving harassing or obscene phone calls, hang up immediately.
If the calls persist:
Branch Libraries: notify Public Safety immediately at 8-1000.
Firestone Library: notify Library Security immediately at 8-3221.
- If a caller is upset about Library policy or a bill, speak calmly
- Listen to the complaint, clarify and explain the Library policy.
- If the patron is still not satisfied, suggest that s/he speak to
your supervisor. If the supervisor is not available, give the supervisor's
name, phone number, and hours when s/he can be reached.
- If the patron becomes abusive or unreasonable, state calmly that
you are going to terminate the call, and then do so.
- If the patron is irate because of the inability to get through the
Library's busy lines and/or voice mail, simply explain that priority must
be given to patrons in the Library, and all of the service desks have people
waiting to be helped. Suggest that the patron call at a less busy time.