Use of "v." and "vol." as Abbreviations for "volume"
- Series designators always use "v." regardless of what appears
on the item.
- Always use "v." in the 300 field. In addition, always use "v." in
the 4xx and 5xx fields, except at the beginning of a statement
and before roman numerals (in the rare cases in which they are transcribed
- Note that the beginning of 505 notes is "Contents:" (a print constant),
so that "v." is appropriate.
- In the 362 field and the MFHD summary holdings note, use "vol."
at the beginning of the holdings statement, and "v." everywhere
else. (e.g., Vol. 1-v. 10)
See also: Booksets
Holdings for more examples of summary holding notes.
- In the volume, and in the item record enum/chron use "vol."
when it appears at the beginning, and "v." when it does not.
(e.g., vol. 8; New ser., v. 17; 1989, v. 2)