United States Government Documents and New Jersey State Documents
**THIS POLICY IS UNDER REVIEW**
Cataloging treatment of government documents is currently under development.
Shipping list and full catalog records are being loaded into Voyager.
It has been decided that some serials will be cataloged.
The superseded policy for the treatment of government documents follows:
This policy is based on a report to the University Librarian by a committee
of Council entitled: Document service and control (approved May 1979).
The following guidelines will cover the location of documents and the
treatment of the catalog records:
- Any document serial which has not yet been cataloged will be located
in the Documents Division.
- When any document serial title is continued by another title, the
old title will be closed and the catalog records adjusted to refer the
user to the Documents Division for information on the later title.
- Open document titles already cataloged will continue to be processed
for their cataloged location. The Documents Division will hold unbound
issues as necessary, but completed volumes will be bound and located
with the remainder of the set in the stacks. Volumes will continue to
be processed as a CAS if they were previous ly cataloged as such.
- All other materials will be treated as follows:
- Congressional documents prior to the 96th Congress will be cataloged.
- Congressional documents for the 96th and subsequent Congresses
will be held uncataloged in the Documents Division.
- New Jersey state documents will be held uncataloged in the Documents
- Location documents are supposed to follow the same guidelines for
cataloging/non-cataloging, unless the AUL in charge provides written
authorization for cataloging a specific title as a major reference tool.