Series verification procedure: Original
Series or series-like phrases which appear in 490 0 or 500
fields have to be searched. (For title headings this can be done with the
Title Headings search)
Series in 440s or 8xxs will be verified during the validation
process when saving a record to the database.
- If your series is in the list with Authorized or Reference
in the first column, highlight the line and click on the "Authority"
button to retrieve the authority record. Follow the heading on it, and
determine the appropriate treatment based on the guidelines given in
the "Heading validated" section below.
- If your series is not in Voyager, check the NAF. If there is no authority
record in the NAF, NACO the series or construct the appropriate heading
for use on the bibliographic record but create no authority record.
Under no circumstances create a local series authority record without
consulting the Authorities Coordinator.
- Click on the sailboat, if series are present in 440 or 8xx fields
the Authority Validation box will appear
- Look down the "Tag" column for series tags (440, 800, 810, 811, 830)
- If the validation column next to a series tags says Heading
Validated, highlight the line and click on "Retrieve auth".
- Look for a 667 field marked "PRINCETON PRACTICE". If
there is such a note, follow the treatment it describes.
- If there is no 667 "PRINCETON PRACTICE" field, follow
the heading and treatment on the authority record EXCEPT if
the series is a CAS.
CAS records should NOT be followed unless there is a 667 field
marked "PRINCETON PRACTICE". If the note is present,
follow the treatment described. If the note is not present,
refer the book to a member of the Authorities Committee.
- If the validation column says Nonexistent Heading, search
Voyager for any possible variants (for title headings this can be
done with the Title Headings search)
- If the series is found in another form on an authority
record in Voyager, adjust your copy, then follow the instructions
under the "Heading validated" section above.
- If the series is not found in Voyager, search the NAF
and follow the heading and treatment found there. Do NOT
import the authority record.
- If there is no authority record, NACO the series (or give
it to your team leader/NACO committee member for NACOing), or
construct the appropriate heading for use on the bibliographic
record but create no local authority record.
- Once all series tags in the Authority Validation box are marked Heading
Validated and you have checked that the treatment matches that on the
authority record, or you have verified that they match an authority
record in the NAF, click on the "Continue" button in the Authority Valdiation
box and the record will be saved to the database.