Series verification procedure -- LC copy
Verify series when saving the bib record to the database. The system
will search the authority file in the validation process.
- Click on the sailboat, if series are present the Authority Validation
box will appear
- Look down the "Tag" column for series tags (440, 800, 810, 811, 830)
- If the validation column next to a series tags says Heading
Validated, highlight the line and click on "Retrieve auth".
- Look for a 667 field marked "PRINCETON PRACTICE".
If there is such a note, follow the treatment it describes.
- If there isn't a 667 "PRINCETON PRACTICE" field,
follow the heading and treatment on the authority record EXCEPT
if the series is a CAS.
NOTE: CAS records should NOT be followed unless there
is a 667 field marked "PRINCETON PRACTICE". If the
note is present, follow the treatment described. If the note
is not present, refer the book to a member of the Authorities
- If the validation column says Nonexistent Heading, search
Voyager for any possible variants (for title headings this can be
done with the Title Headings Search)
- If the series is found in another form on an authority
record in Voyager, adjust your
copy, then follow the instructions under the "Heading
validated" section above.
- If the series is not found in Voyager, search the NAF
and follow the heading and treatment
found there. Do NOT import the authority record.
- If you can find no authority record for the series, consult
your supervisor or a member of the Authorities Committee.
- Once all series tags in the Authority Validation box are marked Heading
Validated and you have checked that the treatment matches that on the
authority record, or you have verified that they match an authority
record in the NAF, click on the "Continue" button and the record will
be saved to the database.