Creating records for circulation, reserves and local cataloging
When in doubt or if there are
any questions regarding this procedure, contact Catalog Division.
This procedure would be used when creating new bibliographic,
holdings and item records for reserve materials, circ on the fly, and
local cataloging of technical reports, government documents and Sr. theses,
- Log onto Voyager cataloging module.
- Start by choosing the appropriate template for your work.
Brief.tem (book record)
Brief Sr. thesis.tem
Brief ser.tem (serial record)
Brief GOV DOC or TECH RPT.tem
1. From the menu bar select Options>Preferences>Folders/Files.
2. In the Templates Section click on the ellipses at the end of the
Bib: dialogue box.
3. In the Open dialogue box choose the appropriate template, then
double-click or click Open.
4. You can check the name of the template by using the arrow key in
the Bib dialogue box.
5. Click OK button at bottom of the Session Defaults and Preferences
- Click on New record icon (the first one on the tool bar -
blank page with corner turned down). The template, which has been set
as the default in your Session defaults and preferences, appears
- Fill in the appropriate fields. Any field that you are not
using must be deleted before saving the record.
For guidelines on how to input the MARC fields see:
For reserves: MARC fields
and subfields used in brief reserve records
For circulation: MARC
fields and subfields used in brief circulation records
For local cataloging: MARC fields and subfields
used in brief (local) cataloging
To edit a field: Use the usual Windows cut/copy/paste and
To add a field:
Use the F3 function key to add a line above the selected line
Use the F4 function key to add a line below the selected line
To delete a field, select the field and hit the delete key.
To insert a delimiter symbol use the F9 function key
- Click on the boat icon to save the record to the database.
- Click on the "Strapped Books +" icon to create a holdings
record. The holdings record (mfhd) template will display. Follow the
guidelines for entering information below.
- 852 field (location and call number
Indicator 1: Must have either a '0' (zero) for the
Library of Congress classification scheme, an '8' for Richardson classification,
accession numbers and others, or an '3' for Sudocs numbers.
Indicator 2: We will leave blank.
The location will be in a |b subfield
The location must be in lower case. If you need to change the
location, place the cursor at the beginning of the location, manually
retype in a new location and delete the old location, or with the
cursor in the |b field press ctrl/L and choose your location from
the list. If you get an error message related to the location, and
your location is in lower case, consult your supervisor.
Type in the following subfields in this order:
|b = location
|t = copy number (for any copy beyond the first. Copy
50 and higher are used for Reserve items)
|c Oversize (if required. Also put the size symbol at
the end of the call number)
|h = class number
|i = shelflist / cutter number. This is the last part
of the LC call number that starts with a letter. It represents the
main entry for the item. Not needed for non LC call numbers
sg |h QE350 |i.I5 1990
sg |c Oversize |h QE350 |i.I52 1993q
res |t 50 |h DG225.B79 |i B747 1995
f |t 2 |h3225.1132
res |h X ECO 321 BAU
For local cataloging:
st |h DOT-FTA-MA-26-7021-96-1
st |h NASA-TP-3521
If you are working with a bookset or serial
there must also be 866 fields in the holdings record, (which in NOTIS
was in a separate MARC holdings record). For guidance on how to input
Adding Holdings and Item records
to Voyager for monographs and booksets
Adding Holdings and Item records
to Voyager for serials
- Save the holdings record to the database by clicking on the
- Click on the "Stacked Books +" icon to create an item
- Scan in the barcode.
- In the item type choose appropriate loan code.
- If working with a bookset or serial fill in
the enum. and chron. as appropriate. For guidance on how
to input these see the Adding Holdings and Item records to Voyager for
monographs and booksets procedure or Adding Holdings and Item records
to Voyager for serials procedure.
- If creating a circ on the fly record you have to set
the item status for catalog review.
Click on the graph button (edit item status) and choose catalog review
from the status list. Move it up to the status box by clicking on the
blue arrow button and click OK.
- Save the item record to the database by clicking on the boat
- Click on the "Show associated records" icon to display
the bibliographic tree.
When in doubt or if there
are any questions regarding this procedure, contact Catalog Division.