Princeton University Cataloging Documentation
Voyager cat procedures
Importing records into Voyager (including exporting from OCLC/RLIN)
Adding multi-piece serial volumes -- Basic procedure:
NOTE: This procedure is for Catalog Division SeERM only.
1) Call up record.
2) Make bibliographic updates/adjustments as needed.
3) Save, if any updates/adjustments were made.
4) Retrieve holdings (strapped books icon at top).
5) IF MULTIPLE LOCATIONS: Select appropriate location and click "Retrieve".
6) Update first 866 that has second indicator "0" to reflect current holdings.
7) Delete any 866s above that correspond to the issues currently being (or already) added.
10) Retrieve items (pile of books icon at top).
11) Select an item for copying and click OK.
12) From "Record" menu (at top), select "Make a copy".
13) Update item record to match new volume.
Enum. = Primary adding element, with spaces
Chron. = Secondary adding element (no parentheses)
Year = Publication date if there is no chronological designation, e.g.: publ. 1996
14) Move cursor to barcode box, and wand barcode.
16) IF ADDING SEVERAL VOLS. TO SAME TITLE: Repeat steps 12-15 for each additional.
17) Close all open item records.
18) IF ANY ITEMS ARE OUT OF ORDER:
Retrieve items again.
19) Close all open windows for the record.
IF A TITLE HAS CUMULATIVE INDEXES:
Multi-location titles should already have index information included
on the holdings screen, e.g.:
In this case, we will add a new field at the bottom of the MFHD,
and move the index holdings to the new field:
It would probably be best to do this for all other copies of the title at the same time.
For single-location titles, the information for the 868 is taken from the 555, but in condensed form:
on bib.: 555 | a Vols. 1 (1939)-50 (1990). 1 v.
on bib.: 555 | a Title and author index: Vols. 1 (1989)-20
(1998). 1 v.
©2008 Princeton University
Last Modified 10/19/2005