the Receiving Macro
receipts (firm orders)
Form (MS Word)
Sorting Monographic Receipts and
Firm Order Invoices
Monographic Receipts Procedure
Dealing with Common Receipt Problems - Cancellations
Books sent against cancelled orders
The use of "book" in this and other
related documentation on problem receipts also refers to orders for other
media such as CDs, videos, etc.
- General Guidelines
- Cancelled orders,more often than not, are duplicates. Follow the
general guidelines for duplicates
to determine what to do with the book.
- If the book was already shipped before the cancellation was sent,
or if not enough time passed between the cancellation and the invoice
date for the cancellation to be processed by the vendor, we may
not be able to return it.
- In general we do not return RUSH
orders and certainly not without prior approval of the vendor.
Regardless of whether the book is kept or returned, we need to
deal with its line on the accompanying invoice, either as a payment
or as a credit. We cannot add cancelled lines to an invoice. Therefore,
we need to copy the order so that we can process the invoice.
- Check the date of cancellation (status date, or information in
the line item note) to determine the date the original order was
- Go to Order menu>Copy order>with components
relinked. Change the purchase order number on the new order
to match the original order.
- Add to the existing line item note "Cancelled on yyyy/mm/dd,
received on invoice#####, copied and deleted original PO to process
invoice." Then, add information to the line item note about
what we are doing with the book.
- Delete the original cancelled PO.
- If we are keeping the book, check it in. Look carefully
at the catalog records to see if they are appropriately marked (suppressed
bib if book is going to dup sales, unsuppressed bib and remove cancelled
note from mfhd if being cataloged, etc.) Follow the general procedures
for processing duplicates.
Consult with supervisor if necessary. Forward invoice to invoice
unit as usual.
- If we are returning the book, update the line item
note "dup of bib #######. Returning and deducting from invoice
##### [initials][date]." Put on the appropriate shelf for return,
with the invoice. Indicate on the paperwork that a SYSTEM
RETURN should be done to generate the returns letter.