Mendel Music Library
Open 12:00 pm to 5:45 pm
Special collections held in the Mendel Music Library, Rare Books and Special Collections (Firestone Library), or ReCAP:
- Allison Delarue Collection (19th-Century Ballet)
- Arthur Mendel Papers, 1937-1981
- James S. Hall Collection of George Frideric Handel, 1714-1968 (see also:The Hall Handel Collection article by J. Merrill Knapp, The Princeton University Library Chronicle, vol. 36, no. 1, Autumn 1974)
- Ludwig Landshoff Papers, 1909-1941
- Music Manuscripts (PDF) in the Manuscripts Division of Rare Books and Special Collections and The Scheide Library(as of 2002)
- "Old Nassau" Sheet Music : and audio clips (with "The Orange and the Black" and "The Princeton Cannon Song")
- Princeton Music Collection : Various songbooks printed for Princeton University, including a nearly complete series of the Carmina Princetonia. Held in Rare Books and Special Collections.
- William Oliver Strunk Collection : (see also: About the Oliver Strunk Collection at Princeton)
- Fred D. Valva Collection of Theatre Orchestra Music : The working theatre and silent film orchestra library assembled by Fred D. Valva (1878-1933) of Worcester, Massachusetts (143 archival boxes). For more information, see the catalog description.
Our microfilm collections are housed either in the Mendel Music Library or in the ReCAP remote storage facility. Links to catalog entries and finding aids are provided where available. Materials stored at ReCAP may be requested via their entry in the library's main catalog and will then be available at the music library within 1-3 days.
Please note that Mendel staff is currently working to prepare accurate catalog records for Mendel's entire microfilm collection. Below you will find links to various finding aids that have previously been used to organize these collections, but please note that information on these lists may no longer be completely accurate. We are offering these tools as provisional paths to locating these materials during this project.
- Major Microfilm Collections: sorted by Topic
- Major Microfilm Collections: sorted by Location
- List of Uncatalogued Microfilm
- The Kenneth Levy Microfilm Archive of Medieval Liturgical Chant
- Miscellaneous Handel Manuscripts
- Thomas Walker Microfilm Collection
- William H. Scheide Bach Manuscript Archive
- Scheide Bach Manuscript Photographic Archive
This list is comprised of titles that are current and discontinued. Annuals and yearbooks are, for the most part, shelved in the Library stacks. Most titles are shelved in the (MUSPE) section of the Mendel Music Library on the first floor, but some titles are in ReCAP and must be requested through the Main Catalog. For a more complete and accurate record of the holdings in the Mendel Library and ReCAP it is strongly suggested that you search the Main Catalog. The most recent issue of these titles can be found in our Periodicals Reading Room.