New Map and Geospatial Information Center
The Map and Geospatial Information Center was recently moved to a newly renovated space in the Fine Hall Wing of the Lewis Library. It houses one of the largest collections of cartographic materials at an academic institution. It has over 300,000 maps and charts as well as aerial and satellite photographs, published on or after 1919. However, our Center also has a large collection of topographic and geological maps published before 1919. In addition to paper maps, the Center also houses a large collection of geographic data and digital maps. We have eight dedicated computers with 30 inch monitors loaded with GIS (Geographic Information Systems) and image processing software packages. The Center also has large map scanners and printers. The Center provides reference and consulting services for GIS and map related topics. At the Center users can analyze geographic data by conducting “what-if” scenarios and communicate their research and project results by creating maps and charts for use in journal articles, term papers and theses.
Follow the latest developments on the Firestone Library Renovation project.