Papers of Princeton
The Papers of Princeton is a collection of digitized historical periodicals from Princeton University and the town of Princeton, New Jersey, where the University is located.
From Princeton University
- The Daily Princetonian
- The Daily Princetonian is the independent student newspaper of Princeton University. Titled The Princetonian when the paper began in 1876, it was published fortnightly during the academic year until April 1883, weekly until April 1885, and twice daily from April 1885 to 1892. Published daily since April, 1892, it is the second oldest running publication of its kind in the United States and has a readership of over 8,000. Staffed primarily by students, the Daily Princetonian covers campus news as well as national headlines. Papers of Princeton includes issues of the Daily Princetonian and its predecessors published between September, 1876 and December, 2015.
- The Nassau Literary Review
- The Nassau Literary Review is a literary magazine that has been published by Princeton University students since 1842, and includes essays, stories, poems, and artwork created and submitted by students. It has included early writing by F. Scott Fitzgerald, John McPhee, W.S. Merwin, Rivka Galchen, Monica Youn, and Nathaniel Mackey, among many others. The magazine has also been known as the Nassau Monthly, the Nassau Literary Magazine, the Nassau Quarterly, and the Nassau Lit. Initially printed monthly during the academic year, the Nassau Literary Review was later published with varying degrees of frequency, and now appears biannually in print as well as being published online. Papers of Princeton includes issues of the Nassau Literary Review published from 1842 to 2015.
- The Princeton University Weekly Bulletin
- The Princeton University Weekly Bulletin began in 1911 as a calendar printed weekly during the academic year and distributed to trustees and faculty, with subscriptions available to the public for a fee. The Weekly Bulletin listed announcements and schedules for religious, athletic, musical, and theatrical events; lectures and seminars; exhibits; conferences; examinations; faculty meetings; student society meetings; commencement exercises, and so on. The Office of the Secretary administered the Weekly Bulletin until a series of editorial and format changes took place during the 1970s, when the Bulletin expanded to include news items supplied by the Office of Communications, as well as information on University operations and policies. As part of the expansion, the Staff News was folded into the Bulletin, and distribution increased. Known since 2009 as the Princeton University Bulletin, the newsletter is now mailed five times a year to employees of the university. Papers of Princeton includes issues of the Princeton University Weekly Bulletin published from September, 1911 to June, 2010. No further additions of this publication to the Papers of Princeton are planned.
From the Town of Princeton and Environs
- The Local Express
- The Local Express called itself "a newspaper devoted to the interests of the people of Princeton and vicinity" and was published in Princeton for less than four years during the 1930s. Founded by Lloyd Dilks and William L. Stout, The Local Express was distributed weekly beginning in October, 1935, and covered local news and announcements, including politics, education, business, the arts, and sports. Later edited by Henry Rosso and managed by Edward Felker, the paper was renamed the Princeton News in May, 1938, and discontinued in March, 1939, when an editorial note cited competition for advertising revenue; The Local Express coexisted with The Princeton Herald and The Princeton Packet. Papers of Princeton includes issues of The Local Express published from October, 1935 to March, 1939, the paper’s entire publication run.
- The Princeton Herald
- The Princeton Recollector
- Town Topics
- The Town Topics is a weekly community publication that was delivered without charge to many homes in the former Borough and Township of Princeton until mid-1980, and delivered by subscription fee thereafter. Princeton University graduates Donald Stuart and Dan Coyle, with Emily Stuart and Mary Coyle, founded the community paper in 1946. Despite the first issue’s editorial note, "Town Topics is not a newspaper," the paper covers local politics, education, the arts, real estate and sports—as well as feature pieces, editorials, event listings, obituaries, wedding and birth announcements, classified ads, police blotters, letters to the editor, and so on. Run as a family business until 2001, Town Topics is now part of a larger media group and is still distributed in Princeton. Papers of Princeton includes issues of Town Topics published from March, 1946 to December, 2013.