New York: Charles Scribner's
The first Blessing of the Animals took place on Olvera Street the Saturday before Easter in 1938.
Politi's figures of the old man leading the cow and the tall thin man in black are modeled after
participants in the ceremony during the 1940s. Politi returned to this subject in 1974-1978 when
he was commissioned to paint a 50 x 20 foot mural on a wall of the Eugene Biscailuz Building, home
of the Mexican Cultural Institute.