Plasma Physics - Services
Plasma Physics Library
Closed (All day)
Using the Library
If you are unsure if you are eligible for a Princeton University ID card, please contact Andrea Moten at (609) 243-2226 or email email@example.com
*Furth Library Guest Cards: PPPL’s visiting researchers and temporary employees may obtain a Furth Library Guest Card directly from the staff in the Furth Library. PPPL affiliates using the blue Furth Library "Guest Patron" IDs can not use these cards in libraries on Princeton's main campus and are not eligible for Borrow Direct, Interlibrary Loan, or Article Express services directly. If you are not a permanent employee and have been given a Guest Card, please see Furth Library staff for help requesting materials not held at the Furth Library.
Requesting Materials from Furth Plasma Physics Library to main campus.
To have materials from the Furth Plasma Physics Library sent to a library on Princeton's main campus, please fill out the PPL Material Request form or click on "Check Availability" in Books+.
Requesting Materials not available at Furth Plasma Physics Library:
PPPL patrons may request books from libraries on Princeton's main campus by contacting Furth library staff in person, by e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or through the PPL Material Request form. Borrow Direct can be used to request books charged out to another patron or not available in the library. Interlibrary Loan services are available for items not available at Princeton or through Borrow Direct. Library Staff can explain the difference between the two services and detail which may be appropriate for the type of request the patron is making.
For journal articles, book chapters, and technical reports not available online or owned by Princeton, Furth Plasma Physics Library patrons may use the Article Express document delivery service.
Consultations and Instruction
To arrange for a research consultation, contact Anya Bartelmann at email@example.com. Before we meet to work on a research topic, please make sure that you send me the following information:
- In a sentence or two, describe your research topic or thesis.
- What materials (if any) have you collected so far?
- Please give me an example of a relevant book, article or paper that you found so far or that was recommended by your advisor.
- What library resources have you searched (if any)?
The Furth Library offers taylored library instruction on a variety of topics to faculty, students, and staff. Individual instruction is available by appointment. To schedule group or individual instruction email Anya Bartelmann at firstname.lastname@example.org
Off-Campus Access and Troubleshooting
Connecting to library resources from off site:
Use the Princeton University SRA or EZProxy Service to connect to library resources, such as databases, e-journals and e-books from home or on travel. You will need your Princeton NETId and Password. This is separate from the PPPL VPN, NETId and Password.
For information on setting up or using these services, visit Connect from off campus.
Secure Remote Access (SRA) For instructions on how to configure the Princeton SRA, please visit http://helpdesk.princeton.edu/kb/display.plx?ID=6023
The EZproxy service does not require any configuration. It can be utilized directly from our Articles and Databases list. Off-campus users will be routed to the requested resource through the EZproxy service when a resource requires authentication. If the EZproxy services produces an error, use the Princeton University SRA as an alternative.
Resources marked "Library Web Computer" do not work through EZproxy, as these Library Resources are available only from designated Library Web Computer workstations physically located within the Library premises.
To report an EZproxy problem, contact email@example.com.
Note: Princeton SRA and EZProxy service are services provided by Princeton University and are different from the PPPL VPN. You will need your Princeton NetID and Password to set up the Princeton SRA or use the Proxy Service. The Princeton NetID is the portion of your @princeton.edu email address before the @ sign. For more information about the Princeton NetID visit the Princeton NetID FAQ.
Troubleshooting access to journals and databases:
Short list of possible reasons you may be having difficulty connecting to online journals or e-books at PPPL.
- In order to ensure the journal/publisher recognizes that you should have access, it is best to use the links provided by the Library. Trying to access a journal from Google may not "authenticate". Use either the Main Catalog, E-Journals , or Plasma Physics E-Journals page to find a link to the journal.
- Clear your browser's history and cache. Information on how to clear the cache in different browsers can be found at http://www.princeton.edu/tds/userdocs/Clearing-your-browser-cache.pdf
- Switch browsers. In particular, Science Direct, Scopus, or any of the Elsevier Sciverse Products only support Internet Explorer and Firefox browsers.
- When connecting from a database such as Web of Science, try navigating directly to the article rather than using the Find it at PUL button Sometimes, if the citation in a database does not exactly match information at the journal webpage, the Find it at PUL button will not connect. This has been known to happen in linking from Web of Science to a Science Direct Journal. If the Volume number does not match, Science Direct displays an error message that looks as if we do not have access to the journal. Use the Citation Finder or go to the Main Catalog or E-Journals list and search for the title of the Journal. Follow the links and navigate to the volume, year, and issue of the article you are looking for.
If you continue having difficulty accessing an online journal or database please report the problem to Library E-support.