You are here
The Scribner Room is a non-circulating collection of reference works, scholarly journals, and major texts and critical studies in English and American literature. The collection comprises more than 5,000 monographs and 70 current journals. The room is open whenever Firestone Library is open, and a student assistant is on hand much of the time to help users. The room is a quiet and pleasant place to read and study.
A gift from the publishing firm of Charles Scribner’s Sons on its Centenary in 1946 to the University on its Bicentenary in that same year provided funds for a room in Firestone Library. In a letter to President Harold Dodds, Charles Scribner, Class of 1913, requested that the gift be recorded as being made by the firm in memory of its founders, Charles Scribner ’1840, John Blair Scribner ’1872, Charles Scribner ’1875, and Arthur Hawley Scribner ’1881.
In 1996, the year of the Princeton Bicenquinquagenary, Charles Scribner III, Class of 1973, gave a gift in memory of his father, Charles Scribner, Jr. ’43 and his grandfather, Charles Scribner ’13, that funded the renovation of the room.
Office: Firestone B-13-P