读秀 (Duxiu) User Guide
The East Asian Library and the Gest Collection
普林斯頓大學葛思德東亞圖書館 ・ プリンストン大学東アジア図書館 ・ 프린스턴 대학교 동아시아 도서관
Open 8:30 am to 4:30 pm
读秀 (Duxiu) User Guide
- Duxiu is an index of Chinese books and articles, as well as some video. Many of the articles have fulltext available. Princeton has full access to some of the books, and partial access is available for the others.
- There are some restrictions on how the copyrighted documents in Duxiu can be viewed or used. Articles and book previews are viewed in the browser as page images rather than plain text.
- A book preview is available if a 阅读 tab appears on the book's homepage. In the preview, you can view the first 20 pages of the book. However, you can also click 图书馆文献传递 to request that additional pages be emailed to you. For a given book, there is a weekly request limit of 50 pages or 20% of the book (whichever is smaller). Note: Proofpoint (Princeton's spam filter) sometimes marks these document delivery emails as spam. If you are not receiving your documents, you may need to safelist the domain vip.163.com in Proofpoint. Instructions for doing so may be found at http://helpdesk.princeton.edu/kb/display.plx?id=9766 .
- For articles, different degrees of access are available. Some articles have fulltext available online directly from Duxiu. Click on 全文检索 above the search box to see these articles. Other articles may have email document delivery available, as described above. These search results are marked with a . Note that unlike the book excerpts, the articles are not delivered immediately; they may take a day or two to process. However, they will be sent as PDFs, which may be viewed offline.
- When viewing articles, there are a few options that allow you to make use of the text.
- 文字摘录 allows you to copy and paste text (you must first outline the section of text you are interested in, which is then converted to selectable text).
- 截取图片 does the same for pictures (after outlining the image, right click on it to save or copy to the clipboard).
- 保存 allows you to save an individual page as a PNG image file.
- 收藏 allows you to save up to 6 pages of the article to "My Library" (described below)
- 打印 allows you to print up to 6 pages.
- Many of the personalized features of this site (My Library, personal web page) require that you sign up for a free Duxiu account at http://mylib.duxiu.com/a/register.action .
- In both search results and the document viewer, you will often see the icon . Clicking this will allow you to add a citation (or up to 6 pages of an article) to 我的图书馆 (My Library). You can also send the document to 我的专题图书馆, which is like a blog or personal research journal that can be shared with others.
- In "My Library", you can collect articles and citations that are of interest to you. You can also organize and categorize your citations and add annotations.
- The website http://mylib.duxiu.com/ lists the library pages of other Duxiu users. If you would like to follow another user's library from your own library page, simply click "加为好友" on the other user's page.