to Cat Record
First Piece Check
MCS Check In
Check In Tips
Series Checks in Voyager
Vendor Reports for Serials
Serial processing policies
- The Enumeration and Chronology fields in the item records should be
used for the primary adding element and secondary adding element (if
any) for serials. The Year field will not be used for serials (except
as in 2. below).
The Year field will be used to indicate publication date for items
lacking a chronological designation (both in booksets and serials).
- While in most cases the Enumeration field will hold the enumeration
element and the Chronology field will hold the date, there will be
cases (for example when a serial has only a date element) when the
Enumeration field will hold the date element.
- Items records produced by automatically by Voyager in the Acquisitions
Module may have to be edited slightly.
When/where to create an item record for serials to be bound (workflow):
Duplicate detection for barcodes should be the default setting for
those adding item records. Using barcode wands is also recommended for
adding items since there is no error detection system for barcodes.
- For items to be bound upon receipt (e.g. bind serials, booksets):
the item should be added upon receipt in the Acquisitions Module.
- For unbound items to be bound together (e.g. runs of periodical
serials): the item should be made when added in the Cataloging Module.
Miscellaneous notes on item records :
- The item record looks different in each of the different modules:
Circulation, Cataloging and Acquisitions
- The Caption and Free text fields display in the OPAC if a temp location
- Spacing used in adding in the Enumeration and Chronology fields
will affect some displays. There is ample (almost unlimited) space
in the Enumeration and Chronology
- To start a new line in the Notes window, one has to use "ctrl j",
NOT enter, which will save and close the Notes window. When notes
have been made to the item, the Notes window changes and the "X" is
removed from the icon. People should be made aware of this as a clue
to check the Notes window.
[Serials Processing Policies] [Holdings